Culloden way of learning
The school follows a way of learning that is based on our curriculum values with the aim of helping pupils learn more. The way of learning is based on the National Curriculum and is known as the Culloden way of learning.
Our curriculum values
- prepare pupils to lead fulfilling lives
- prepare pupils to play an active, positive and productive role in our democratic society
- pupils must become adept at working both individually and collaboratively.
Culloden way of learning – important details
- The timetable allows pupils to do much more English work.
- Geography, history and RE are taught through English. English lessons are based around a topic.
- For English lessons, pupils are taught in classes based on their reading and writing levels.
- Mathematics is taught in sets in year groups.
- Science, art and design, design and technology and music will be taught in blocks – a whole week at a time.
- Pupils will practise their important key learning (basic skills) for 30 minutes each day, in their English classes.
- All pupils will have two hours of PE each week.
- Swimming is taught in Years 3 and 5.
Further information relating to curriculum is available on request – please contact the academy.
How are reading and phonics taught?
Phonics is the system of learning to read by using sounds. At Culloden, the Read Write Inc. programme is used to teach phonics. From nursery, pupils are introduced to the first 30 sounds and taught to blend these sounds into words. In Reception, pupils are taught to blend sounds into words and they read from books at their standard daily. This continues throughout KS1 and KS2 with daily phonic lessons and daily guided reading with comprehension to test pupils’ understanding. Each class has a book area with attractive books that appeal to all pupils within that class and are available to take home.
We strongly encourage parents/carers to help foster a love of reading in their children. That is why we provide resources to achieve this aim.
Why reading is important
- Reading helps you achieve your goals
- Reading will help you with different jobs and careers
- Reading will help increase your knowledge
- Reading will help you understand morals and how to behave
- Reading can inspire you
- Reading can make you laugh and make you happy
- Reading will help you improve your vocabulary
- Reading is fun
Download the Why Reading is Important leaflet.